(Let’s be real–I had to make this list eventually.)
1. You get the bed–and all the covers–to yourself. This is kind of a no-brainer, but it’s still a really, really excellent perk. As someone who has dated many a jock who takes up a lot of space, waking up and not being pressed up against the wall with no room to roll over never loses its novelty.
2. Forget about shaving your legs. Or, um, anything else you might like to shave. No one will notice if you take a day–or hell, a week–off.
3. Playing the field. Dating around gives you the opportunity to meet a ton of different people with different interests, talents, and quirks. Even though dating can be awkward and get tiring after a while, it can also be fun to put yourself out there. If nothing else, it’s an excuse to look nice and have something to look forward to.
4. You are Charles. Remember that awesome tv show Charles in Charge? You, single lady, are in charge of your own life. You still have to think about others and their feelings, but ultimately your decisions are in service of you. Being single brings with it a great sense of freedom.
5. No cringe-worthy introductions. Since you’re flying solo, you don’t have to go through the painful moments of introducing your significant other to your family and friends. Your mom doesn’t have the opportunity to show him your ugly baby photos (I’m sure you were a cute baby–but still) and your dad doesn’t have to engage in a sham of male bonding while he tries to scope out whether this dude is good enough for his daughter. Phew!
6. More time for your gal-pals. Relationships require love and compromise and blah, blah, blah. Mostly, they require time. Time that you can instead spend forging great friendships with your girlfriends. These are the people who stay constant in your life while you’re going through a revolving door of dates. Just don’t ditch ’em when you finally do find Mr. Right.
7. No uncertainty. You know how at the beginning of a relationship there’s that weird period when you’re still trying to figure out what you are and what you mean to each other? When you’re single, there’s no ambiguity.
8. You can eat the whole cake. Why do guys always want to share stuff? If I ordered this dessert, I’d prefer to eat it by myself, thankyouverymuch. Get your own!
9. No toilet seat left up, no remnants of his beard clogging your sink. Need I say more?
10. You can dance authentically to Beyoncé’s “Single Ladies.” It makes the song that much better. Now put your hands up!